Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tireless Tubes

I’m not sure how many times I’ve been punctured in the arm. Left arm. For the years that have gone by without any medication/treatment at the clinics or hospitals, the past 2 months have definitely made up for it.

I wasn’t ever scared of injections. I’d look to speed up the waiting time. That’s the killer phase. In fact, I think the wait is most disastrous. It gets people imagining glitches & other silly things to be part of the process. Hence the fear. Makes sense don’t it?

A few of my friends are still shaken by the thought of injections. Seeing that needle move swiftly towards the vein and finally inside it, it can cause (shudder) .. significant discomfort. In the 2 month experience I’ve been through, I’ve started noting the good and bad segments of this activity. I know, it’s not the best of things to dwell on but a patient’s perspective must always be considered.

The armchairs are comfortable. That’s a guarantee. Once you sit yourself down on one, the natural tendency is to start looking around and in all probability, towards the rack of sampling equipment. 2,5,10 and 20 ml measures stare back coldly. Meanwhile, the nurse/technician pulls out fresh stock and yanks off the plastic cover off each one. Till recently, I never paid attention to how thick that needle really is. (maybe that’s one way to stop the fear?) And it is one thick piece. Soon, the cotton swab does it’s bit of ensuring a shiny forearm on the inside and the alcohol scent finds its way to your senses.  This is the good part. Then comes the syringe with the needle. A routine check of the piston clears out any trapped air and we’re good to go!

Every time I feel the prick I can’t help but look down at the needle. And it looks so much more deadly at this point.

Before one can settle in this phase, time is up. Phew..! made it.

~ 10 punctures in 45 days ~

3 comments:

Khamir Purohit said...

Haha good one... I get your 'point'.

Anonymous said...

hey, no more posts...?

Sneha Pati said...

Wow, you have a knack of doin pleasant things to my brain! Very observant!